China was home to 960,000 individuals whose wealth totaled ¥10 million or above in 2010, and over 90% of them travelled overseas last year, according to the Chinese Luxury Traveler white paper that surveyed 463 multimillionaires with an average age of 39. The paper was compiled by Hurun Report and ILTM Asia.
- These multimillionaires owned 3.3 cars and 3.7 watches on average in 2010;
- These multimillionaires spent an average 5% of their assets in 2010;
- These multimillionaires' favorite recreation was traveling abroad;
- These multimillionaires had 15 days off on average, and had three overseas trips on average in 2010;
- 80% of these multimillionaires went on self-guided tours, and 60% flew with business class in 2010;
- France, the US and Australia were the top three tourism destinations for these multimillionaires in 2010;
- 17% of these multimillionaires would like to travel during the weeklong National Day holiday that begins on October 1.
In addition, the white paper revealed that overall spending on offshore shopping by all mainland tourists surged 91% and accounted for 17% of the global duty free shopping receipts last year. Foreign watches, jewelrey and designer clothes were the top three items on their shopping lists.